Donna L Kooistra
She appraises newly constructed quilts, antique, traditional, and non-traditional quilts for
insurance replacement value, fair market value, and donation value.
For many years, Donna has participated in classes and lectures on fabric dating and identification, technique, construction, documentation, ethics, and current trends to determine values of quilted textiles offered by national quilt organizations as well as those by local shops and appraisers.
Currently, she is a member of the following:
PAAQT, Professional Association of Appraisers of Quilted Textiles, President
American Quilter’s Society
American Quilt Study Guild (Indiana State Representative)
Member of SAQA
Midwest Fabric Study Group
National Quilt Association
Ruby Short McKim Collaboration Board
Former member of the Board of the Quilter's Hall of Fame
The Applique Society
Appleseed Quilt Guild, Material Girls Quilt Guild
Co-Owner of SeriousQuiltCare, an online quilt care company
An international organization established in 1992 to promote and guide professional certified quilt appraisers. All members are dedicated to providing professional and ethical expertise on quilts and quilted textiles.
As a PAAQT member I :
As a PAAQT member I :
- Appraise antique, vintage, newly made (traditional and contemporary) and art quilts and quilted garments for owners, makers, exhibitors privately or at venues such as quilt shows.
- Am guided by the federal regulations of "Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice" (USPAP).
- Abide by a Code of Ethical Practices.
- Am tested and certified by national or international organizations.
- Have knowledge of quilt history, fabrics, quilt dating, construction techniques, pattern recognition and regional influences.
- Stay up to date on the current values and market trends of all types of quilts.
- Attend continuing educational opportunities that focus on recent developments in historical facts, the market place of comparable sales, new construction costs and recent changes in governmental regulations. These events are sponsored by PAAQT as well as other organizations.
- Provide services for individuals, collectors, museums, historical societies and other organizations. These services include giving lectures on the history of quilts, fabrics, construction techniques, regional differences, care, description of the appraisal business, etc. Appraisal days and documentation days may also be scheduled.